The next best thing to playing football is watching it. It is an exciting, grueling game of strategy, brains, and brawn. Players are playing to win, and they may fall down ten times during the game, but they will put all their energy into getting up each time. Whether or not they want to, they take the hit, but they do their best to stay in the game. Life often plays out like a football game and when you are in the middle of it, on the playing field, trust that you are going to take some hits.
Persevere Through Adversity
Anyone who is truly about living life, especially living it to its fullest, will be confronted by adversity from time to time. Indeed, many people feel that if the road is too smooth and without obstacles, they must be doing something wrong; conversely, when the obstacles are many, and the going is hard, they must be on the right road.
Sometimes you get weary and want to throw in the towel. That is when a line from Og Mandino’s book The Greatest Salesman in the World comes to mind: “Smile in the face of adversity until it surrenders.” Definitely easier said than done for so many tough situations; however, you can do it with perseverance. “But how?” you may ask. Here are some tips:
- First, stay calm and assess the situation. There is always the possibility that if you really look at all angles of the situation, it may not be as bad as it seems at first glance.
- Don’t just think about the problem; after careful assessment, take action. When you start to act, the solution will make itself apparent. Letting a bad situation sit and fester will do nothing to make it better. In relationships, that may mean reaching out to the other person. It could mean either asking for or offering forgiveness. Whatever actions you take, do it with mindful intention. Remember, you are acting, not reacting blindly to the circumstances.
- Stay positive as much as you are able. There are definitely situations where a positive attitude will be hard to come by. However, when you pull on the strength and fortitude you have, even the most demanding situations will reveal some positive aspects.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it. One of the most difficult things in life for some people is asking for help. Yet, ironically, these same people are often the first to jump at an opportunity to help others. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness; it actually shows strength, confidence and resourcefulness.
- Communication is always important, especially when you are facing adversity. When the situation involves others, communication is key. Unfortunately, without information, we tend to create stories in our minds. Let people know what you are thinking and how you feel.
One of the most important steps you can take when facing adversity is not to give up. Your attitude can have a direct impact on the outcome. So, step out on faith and keep believing in yourself.